“Bird Seed” Bread
- In a small bowl, combine warm water (110-115 degrees) and yeast. In a separate, large bowl add flours and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients together, then add the water-yeast mixture all at once. Stir with a large spoon until a well-combined, sticky dough forms.
- Cover the bowl, and let the dough rise in the refrigerator for at least two hours. While you wait, lightly spray a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Once the dough has risen, sprinkle your work area with flour and scrape the dough onto it. Knead it a few times, and then sprinkle on seeds. Keep kneading, rolling the dough over any loose seeds, until everything’s combined.
- Place the dough on the sprayed or parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkling a light coat of flour on top to keep it moist, and let rest for 45 minutes. While it’s resting, preheat oven to 450 degrees and place a metal pan on the lowest oven rack. Prepare 1 cup of hot water for the next step.
- When ready to bake, make a few ½ inch slashes on top of the bread. Place the bread, still on the pan, in the oven and carefully pour hot water into the metal pan on the lowest rack. Close the door quickly!
- Bake the bread for around 25 minutes, until it’s a nice golden brown. It should sound “hollow” if an adult knocks it carefully.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool on a rack. Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container, or plastic bag, at room temperature. Enjoy!